Important Reminders When Applying
- Public offering of TBs will be conducted by the respective PTFs and the four Tokyo 2020 Olympic Torch Relay Presenting Partners (including Coca-Cola (Japan) Company, Limited, Toyota Motor Corporation, Nippon Life Insurance Company, Nippon Telegraph and Telephone(NTT) Corporation). The Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee is not the lead entity for public offering of TBs. Note that any applications submitted to the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee will be invalid.
- While the same individual may apply to multiple Presenting Partners or apply simultaneously to both multiple Presenting Partners and a PTF, the individual may not apply to multiple PTFs.
*Note that if an individual is found to have applied to multiple PTFs, all such applications shall be invalidated, and the individual shall not be selected as a TB by any of the PTFs to which he or she applied.
- Only one person per application. A joint application by multiple individuals is not allowed.
- Applications require both a self-introduction and reasons for applying from the applicant himself or herself, as well as the reasons for nominating the applicant as a TB from the person making the nomination (any relationship with the applicant is acceptable and can include family members, friends and others with a close relationship to the applicant).
- Those not nominated will not be notified of their non-nomination.
- Reasons for nominating or not nominating an applicant will not be disclosed. Please note that inquiries regarding those reasons cannot be answered.
- Application forms containing false or dishonest statements will be invalidated.
Routes and other information
- Each TB will run approximately 200 meters. (Please note that the running distance may exceed more than 200 meters or less. TBs may run at their own speed and at a relaxed pace.)
- Specific time and date as well as route will be determined by the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee following nomination of the TBs. In addition, please also note that a course in various areas may be allocated.
Equipment and/or assistance required for the run
- TBs are asked to arrange for their own wheelchairs or other apparatus and equipment when necessary.
- *Note that the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee will arrange for a wheelchair attachment to hold the Olympic torch.
- *Note that TBs who may have difficulty running alone may be accompanied by a single escort.
- *Note that when necessary, TBs will be allowed to run with a service dog for the people with a physical disability.
- *Note that while escorts are not considered TBs, separate uniforms will be lent for the run(the escorts' uniform shall be different from TBs' and may be one-size-fit-all uniform over their own cloths).
The age requirement for escort applicants is the same as TBs. Regarding the rules about political or religious matter, the same requirements for TBs shall also apply to escorts (See "Basic Requirements for TB Applicants" for details).
Important Reminders About the Relay
- Running as a TB may not be used for religious or political purposes.
- Personal advertising and marketing activities are not allowed.
- Except for special service dogs, TBs may not accompany with animals.
Ambush Marketing Prohibited
- Except when specifically allowed by the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee, TBs shall not associate specific products or services (collectively, “Products, etc.”) with the Tokyo 2020 Games, the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Torch Relay, the Olympic movement or the Paralympic movement, and are asked to refrain from acts that may be seen as representing such an association.
- Except when specifically allowed by the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee, TBs shall not represent that Products, etc. are official products of the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee, the International Olympic Committee, the International Paralympic Committee, the Japanese Olympic Committee or the Japanese Paralympic Committee (hereafter collectively, the “Organising Committees, etc.”); that they have been selected by any of the Organising Committees, etc.; that they have been approved by any of the Organising Committees, etc.; that they have been warranted by any of the Organising Committees, etc.; that they have been recommended by any of the Organising Committees, etc.; that they have obtained the consent of any of the Organising Committees, etc.; or any other similar facts, and are asked to refrain from behavior that might be seen in that way.
- TBs shall not, for the purpose of marketing or advertising Products, etc., disclose their relationship with the Organising Committees, etc., the fact that they will run as TBs or facts learned as TBs, and are asked to refrain from behavior that might be seen in that way.
- On the day of their run, TBs will be supplied with a TB uniform consisting of a shirt (long- or short-sleeved) and pants (long or short). TBs may not wear or bring shirts or pants other than the supplied uniform.
- TBs may not alter the design or shape of the uniforms supplied.
- TBs may not wear or bring any items not required for their run. TBs may not wear advertisements, etc. when running.
- Shoes are not supplied as uniforms; TBs should wear their own sports shoes. Note that rollerblades and other equipment may not be used except as part of special performance by the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee or PTFs.
- Those running as TBs may not wear extreme hairstyles, paint their faces or wear flashy jewelry or other accessories. More detailed guidelines will be provided following the nomination process.
After the TB Nomination Process
- The nominated TBs will be contacted in order by the Nara PTF after December 2019 (tentative). This will be followed by an official nomination notification from the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee. Any subsequent contact will come from the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee.
- Those under 18 years of age as of March 1, 2020, will be asked to submit a consent form from a parent or guardian.
- TBs will be able to purchase the Olympic torch carried on the day of their run. Purchase price and other information about purchasing it will be provided following the nomination process.
- Any materials to be sent out in advance will be e-mailed or mailed to the address provided on the application form.
- Any communication prior to or on the day of the run will be in Japanese or English only.
- While there is no charge to participate, the cost of round trip transportation to and from the designated meeting place (including, when necessary, accommodations) on the day of the relay shall be the responsibility of the individual participant. No refunds or other compensation shall be provided in the event that day’s relay is cancelled for unavoidable reasons.
- Personal identification will be checked at the designated meeting place on the day of the relay; please bring and be prepared to present some form of picture ID (driver’s license, passport, residence card, etc.).
- TBs will be asked to sign a runner consent form at the designated meeting place on the day of the relay, verifying consent to important precautions while running and other items of consent, and providing final confirmation of the individual’s desire to run.
- Application forms found to contain false or dishonest statements will result in cancellation of the individual’s nomination.
- The individual’s nomination may be cancelled in the following cases; (i) It is revealed that the candidate does not meet the application requirements as a Torchbearer, (ii) He/she performs an act which spoils the image of the Tokyo 2020, (iii) Any other case that the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee deems that the candidate is inappropriate as a Torchbearer.