Public Offering of Tokyo 2020 Olympic TBs: Overview
The Nara PTF will conduct a public offering, as noted below, for TBs to participate in the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Torch Relay as it traverses Nara Prefecture.
- Recruiting Period:
- July 1 (Mon.) - August 31 (Sat.) 2019
- Recruiting Entity:
- Nara PTF
- Number Being Nominated:
- 39 people
- How to Apply:
- Fill out and submit the application form on the Nara Prefecture website at https://nararelay.com Or fill out the designated application form and send it via e-mail or post it to the address noted below.
*Note that the number of TBs being recruited and methods for applying may vary among the PTFs and presenting partners.
- Nomination Process:
- The PTFs will nominate applicants based on the information provided by them, and present them to the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee, which will make the final decision. Do not send in documents or other materials not required for application, as they will not be considered in the nomination process.
- Announcement of Nomination:
- The Nara PTF will contact the nominated TBs from the beginning of December, 2019. Subsequently, the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee will send an official nomination notification to them, which notification shall serve as an announcement of their nominations.
- *Note that the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee will contact those selected with details of their individual paths sometime after mid-February, 2020.
- *Note that those applicants not nominated will not be notified. However, in the event of an opening for a TB within two weeks prior to the TB’s scheduled run, previous applicants may be selected to move into that slot. In that event, the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee will notify the individual of their nomination.
Basic Requirements for TB Applicants
Those wishing to apply as TBs must fulfill the following basic requirements.
- Applicants shall have been born before or on April 1, 2008. Provided, however, that applicants under the age of 18 as of March 1, 2020 (the first day of the month in which the Torch Relay starts) must have the consent of a parent or guardian.
- As a rule, applicants should have some connection to the prefecture in which they wish to run (including those who reside in or have resided in the prefecture; those whose workplace or school is located there; those with family members or relatives living there; those previously involved in any activities there, and so on).
- Individuals may apply regardless of nationality or gender.
- Applicants shall be able to carry the flame safely and of their own will. Provided, however, that support staff (escorts) may attend when necessary.
- Those intending to use the Torch Relay to convey political or religious messages are ineligible to serve as TBs. reputations.
- Those in serving in public office as stipulated by the Public Offices Election Act (including Diet members, legislators and heads of local government), candidates for public office or those considering such candidacy, heads of political parties or political organizations and those in equivalent positions are ineligible to serve as TBs.
- Religious figures are ineligible to serve as TBs based on their religious reputations.
Basic Approach to TB Nomination
The basic approach of the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee in the nomination of Tokyo 2020 Olympic TBs is as follows:
- Eligibility: All people
- While giving consideration to a balance of nationalities, abilities and disabilities, genders and ages, the goal is for an open relay in which TBs are selected from a wide range of fields.
TBs are to be selected primarily from among those who are active in their communities.
- Strong Spirit (The spirit of supporting)
- Individuals who, in their daily lives, support family, friends, colleagues and others, confronting any difficulties without giving up.
(Ex.) Someone making an enormous contribution to the revival of their local community from previous disasters.
- Tolerance(The Spirit of Accepting)
- Individuals engaged in new endeavors while recognizing the differences between people.
(Ex.) Someone who creates a sports community for children, developing a center for their community where many can get together.
Someone who has contributed to building a new brand for their community by bringing local residents and newcomers together.
- Sense of Unity Born of Celebrations (The Spirit of Encouraging)
- Individuals who can enhance a sense of local unity by running as a TB.
(Ex.) Someone who supports local traditional cultural activities behind the scenes.